If you had a choice between downloading an app and using it through your browser, what would you choose? We never prefer loading our laptops with software and apps. This is the reason why we use web applications when we have the offer.
A web application is a program or software that can be accessed through any web browser on your laptop, computer, or tablet. The best example I can give you here is the G-Suite you find when you open Gmail or Google – Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, Google Photos, and Google Calendar.
Difference between a Website and Web Application
- Web application is designed to interact with the end-user.
Website is designed for all kinds of users.
- Web application not only allows you to read the content but also change the restricted data.
A website provides visual text and content that the user can only see and read but can’t make any changes to it.
- The functions of web applications are higher and more complex to websites.
Website displays collected data and information on a particular page.
Why You Need A Web Application?
Before developing a web application, you need to ask yourself why you need it. Here are some uses of a web application:
- Web applications are easier to maintain as compared to desktop applications. The same code can be used in an entire application. This removes any compatibility issues.
- They can be used on any OS like Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Unlike mobile app stores, there are no approvals required for web applications.
- In any other app, users need to update their apps to the latest version. However, in a web application, you don’t need to update anything.
- This is cost-effective for a company.
- It can be accessed from any browser from phones also. So, you don’t have to download and install any of these apps on the phones.
Different Kinds of Web Applications
There are 3 different types of web applications that you need to choose from. They have been divided on the basis of tools and technologies used. The 3 different types of web applications are:
Client-side Web Apps
This type of web app should be used when you don’t want to save the data for a long session or more than a single session. It is useful for games and image editing.
Server-side Web Apps
This type of web apps runs on remote PCs. It is written in many different programming languages like C#, Ruby, Python, and PHP. Under this type of Web App, any changes in form submissions, sections, and data updates a new HTML file and webpage is reloaded.
Single Page Apps
This type of app is made using both front-end and back-end technology. This makes them more difficult and complicated software.
Steps to Develop Web Application
There are 8 steps to developing a web application:
1. Identify the issue you want to resolve
This is the very first step to creating a web app. Knowing the problem to resolve is important. This way you will know how to come to a solution and the path to follow.
2. Design the workflow of your web app
Once you are ready with a solution, you need to map the workflow on how it will work. This determines what steps need to be taken in the web application to arrive at the solution.
3. Make a prototype of the web app
Now, you need to transform your workflow into a wireframe. The wireframe is a tool for communicating the solution to the target user.
To get validation, you need to present your wireframe to the potential users of the web app. Take their feedback and make any changes as required based on their feedback.
Determine the tools, frameworks, and platforms you will need for developing your web app. Select the ones which are suitable according to your requirements and not the most popular ones.
6. Select the technology for web application development
Select if you want to go for front-end, backend, or databases for your web app.
7. Testing the web app
Once you have completed your development, you need to start testing your web app. You can do it manually or automate it. Test for the performance, security, and functionality of the app.
8. Hosting and deployment of the web app
Hosting is the process of running the web app on a server. For this, you need to purchase a domain and select a hosting provider.
To Sum Up
All this is a complex process and requires deep programming knowledge. An app development company can help you create a web app according to your requirement. They can help you determine your problem and also find the solution for you.